Schedule an Observation
Students are welcome to complete observation assignments in the Family Resource Center. However, before scheduling an appointment, check with your professor to confirm that the Infant & Toddler or Creative Activities Playgroups are an appropriate venue for the assignment.
You will be observing infants and toddlers (birth - 30 months) and their caregiver (Infant & Toddler) or 2 1/2 - 4 year olds in our Creative Activities Playgroup, also with their caregiver. This could be a parent, grandparent, or babysitter. Playgroups are facilitated by at least one child development instructor and staffed by student interns.
Space is limited to 3 observers per playgroup. It is critical for you to plan ahead and submit multiple choices using the tool below. If you need to cancel or reschedule your observation, call us at (818) 778-5612.
When visiting the FRC for an observation, be sure to follow these guidelines:
- Arrive on time and sign in on the clipboard at the front desk. Pick up an "observer" badge and wear it in a clearly visible location.
- Turn off your cell phone and remove your shoes (if inside). There are cubbies available to store your shoes and bags. Don't forget your pen and paper for note taking.
- Find a place to sit and make yourself comfortable. Feel free to use a low chair. This is where you will stay throughout your observation.
- Do not interact with any of the other students, children, or parents. If they speak to you, respond to them with a polite, but brief answer.
- All information gathered during your observation is confidential. Do not discuss any of it with anyone else. When you write about the caregiver and child for your assignment, use fictitious names to respect their privacy.
- Photography is not permitted during playgroups. You may take photos only of the environment or activity areas (no people) if you arrive before or stay after the playgroups.
- When you have completed your observation, turn in your badge and sign-out at the front desk.
- All observation records are made available to instructors upon request
Spring 2018 Playgroup Schedule
Playgroups begin on February 20, 2018 - May 24, 2018
- Tuesday 10:30am - 12:00pm
- Tuesday 3:30pm - 5:00pm
- Thursday 10:30am - 12:00pm
- Thursday 3:30pm - 5:00pm